What is an Art Journey Challenge?
Every six weeks we’ll introduce a new set of up to four pieces of art to inspire you! This will be either an oeuvre or collection of an artists’ work, or a group of artists on a theme. Throughout the year we’ll have nine separate Art Journeys. For each Art Journey we challenge our readers to create jewelry inspired by the featured artwork. You have until the end of the six-week period to share your work in our Gallery and then we randomly pick one winner to receive beads and jewelry-making supplies from our contributors. Our only rule? You must use at least one art bead in your piece! Check out Erin’s post to see the schedule for 2019 and to get a sneak peek at the year’s Art Journeys HERE.
How to Enter the Art Journey Challenges:
Create something using an art bead that fits within our current Art Journey’s theme. All art provided on the Art Bead Scene is for inspiration and education only. No art may be downloaded or replicated in your art. This challenge is open to jewelry-makers, fiber artists, collage artist, etc. The art bead can be created by you or someone else. The challenge is to inspire those who use art beads and to see all the different ways art beads can be incorporated into your handiwork. An Art Bead must be used in your piece to qualify for the monthly challenge. Upload your photo to our new photo gallery.
1. You must create an account and login before you can add a photo to the gallery. Click here to sign up for your account.
2. After you are logged in go to the Submit page. Click here or use the top menu link.
Include a short description and a link to your blog, if you have one. You may upload as many entries as you like per Art Journey, as long as they follow the guidelines. Be sure to point out all the art bead artists in your work in the description when you upload to the Gallery. Links to their website or shop are appreciated. That way we can all find new art beads to love!Allow 24 hours for photos to be approved by our moderator.
Entries for Bead Artists
Art beads must be created by you and fit the Art Bead Scene’s monthly challenge theme. They can be made for the challenge or ones you have made before. Two entries per month are allowed.
Monthly Challenge Winners
• Each time you enter the Art Journey challenge will be a ticket to win. At the end of the Art Journey we will select a random winner who will get an art bead prize that will be inspiration for the NEXT Art Journey.
• One prize winner will be selected at random from all qualifying entries in the Gallery at the end of each Art Journey!
• At the end of our year, we will award a GRAND PRIZE package, with each entry over the year as your ticket in. So the more times you enter the challenges over the year, the more chances to win!
What is an Art Bead?
An art bead is a bead, charm, button or finding made by an independent artist. Art beads are the vision and handiwork of an individual artist. You can read more about art beads here.
***A bead that is handmade is not necessarily an art bead. Hill Tribe Silver, Kazuri ceramic beads or lampwork beads made in factories are examples of handmade beads that are not considered art beads. Beaded beads, stamped metal pendants or wire-wrapped components are not considered art beads for our challenge.***
Jewelry photo credit – top photo: Heather Powers, Loralee Kolton and Sarajo Wentling. Bottom photo: Erin Prais-Hintz and Alison Adorns.