This was a fun project to design. I needed to add a series of pendants for a gallery show last month and found myself drawn to the simplicity of monochromatic color palettes, letting the textures and shapes of the beads shine though. I had fun mixing metals using copper, gunmetal and steel. The copper became an accent color and added warmth to the darker metals.
These are quick and easy. I used a pre-made chain to finish the pendants. I simply cut a chain in half and attached it to the end of my design.
Willow Leaf Pendant
Czech glass leaf
6 glass beads
15mm Arte Metal jump ring
8mm copper jump ring
2 4mm copper jump rings
8 links from a chain (make sure your chain links can open and close.)
1″ copper headpin
6 1″ copper eyepins
18″ gunmetal chain
3″ 21 gauge steel wire
Pendant length: 22″
1. With the steel wire create a loop through the pendant and wrap the wire twice, from a smaller loop and continue wrapping the wire under the small loop to create the bail.
2. String the glass leave on the headpin and create a simple loop.
3. Attach the pendant, glass leaf and large copper jump ring to the Arte Metal jump ring.
4. String one glass bead on an eyepin and create a simple loop. Repeat five more times creating six beaded links.
5. Attach three beaded links together with a chain links. Attach the links to the large copper jump ring with a chain link. Attach a chain link to the top bead. Cut the 18″ chain in half and attach one side to the top of the beaded links with a small copper jump ring. Repeat on the other side.
Pendant: Humblebeads. Czech leaves: Dream Girl Beads. Glass beads: various sources, check out Beads by C. Art Metal jump ring, chain and findings: Hobby Lobby. Copper jump rings: Rings & Things.
Special bonus: As a year end gift, I’m offering 20% off my Etsy shop now through Monday. Use discount NewYear when you check out.
Marie CrampDecember 29, 2011 at 11:50 pm
These are fantastic! I feel inspiration brewing!! I have not made anything new in weeks! I could use it 😉
RebeccaDecember 30, 2011 at 1:07 am
Your projects are always so very pretty and well put together! I love these. I also love monochromatic colour palettes; there's something very satisfying about them.
Betty S.January 1, 2012 at 10:08 pm
These are lovely and a great jumping off point for other types of pendants. Thanks so much for sharing, always love your ideas!
AnonymousMarch 27, 2012 at 11:35 pm
Hello, I'm Dawn and I just found Art Bead Scene through allfreebeading.com, and I wanted to say how much I love this necklace! I've been beading for a while now, but I want to learn more about metals. As others have said, this necklace is very inspiring; it's awesome! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. ~ Dawn ~
Comments are closed.